Saturday, August 11, 2007

opening lines

The first word they read will be "Welcome." It will be black on a white background and it will be written in Helvetica. All uppercase, I think. Maybe not though. A mix of the two might be best. What comes next will be a reassuring sentence about why they have come to that web address. How it wasn’t entirely chance that their name was selected and it wasn’t entirely not chance either. I think it will say: “If you are here, you are meant to be here.” Yes. That is exactly what it will say. First it will say:

Welcome.

And then it will say:

If you are here, you are meant to be here.

I think that will keep their attention while also being two true statements. I could keep their attention with sensationalism or exaggerations but instead, I will chose to do it through sweeping but truthful statements. I will chose to do it through telling them things they secretly long to hear and by asking them questions they secretly long to answer. They might so secretly long for these things that they don’t even know they long for them. Those are the people that might get choked up. The people who when they read:

Welcome.

and

If you are here, you are meant to be here.

Feel the pluck of their heart strings and an increased dampness in their eyes. For them, maybe this will be like getting the answer they’ve searched for. For me, it will be an IP address. An IP address is a unique address given to your computer so it can communicate with other computers. And that’s how I’ll know them all first.

67.128.90.32

Them being the men who get the postcard. The men who demographically fit a profile. The ones who have filled out a warranty card or subscribed to a magazine. The ones in a database available for sale for just $25. Them. I’ll know them as an IP address and they will know me as a mysterious post card.

T::h::e F::o::r::e::v::e::r S::u::r::v::e::y

Welcome.

If you are here, you are meant to be here.

6 comments:

Scooter said...

I am here. I was meant to be here.

Matt said...

You write in a hugely beautiful way ... I like the stream-of-consciousness way that things flow out. My partner ("Scooter") sent me your link and I'm hooked. Honestly.

extraspecialbitter said...

thank goodness - I thought I was lost!

Unknown said...

Thanks guys! WOW! What a great bunch of hunks commenting on my blawg! I'm one lucky girl.

And thanks for the nice words, Matt. Mighty kind.

Anonymous said...

I love it. Well, except for the Helvetica bit. Can we change that to Myriad Pro?

Unknown said...

Sprizee: Do you have that in a Post Script? Oh, you do? Great. I'll take it. Make it two.