Wednesday, August 15, 2007

alaphabet super

I got some writing advice today.

I was lamenting about how I want to write a book but can’t seem to get past the ideas. The free floating nameless characters. The makeshift plots that change and shift and only make sense to me. My total lack of respect for gra. Mmar. And sentence. Structure. I get mired down in it. Stuck. The idea of sustaining 300 pages on one idea. One story. It sticks me to my chair. My hands in my lap. Keyboard quiet.

I was wishing out loud for discipline.

And she, she being an editor who I love at a newspaper worth fighting for, she said I write like Faulkner or Joyce. That it flows. That I have a voice. I said this then and I will say this now. Those comparisons are clearly too kind. They are generous and wonderful and day making. But too too kind. After such a head pat. After such a glowing review. She said:

Beware of structure. It’s like a straight jacket that you might not be able to take off.

She’s watched it. She’s lived it. Writer after writer putting it on. Tightening the belts. Living inside an inverted triangle. Tidy. Clean. They get stuck in the proper of it all. And set aside their risk taking. Their shooting from the hip. Signing up for writing seminars 5 years later where they are encouraged to write like they use to. You know. When they didn’t know how they were supposed to. She said:

Tread lightly.

I think a lot about writing. About what I’m supposed to do with it. If there is a book inside me. Or if this blog lives by itself. When I talk about writing, I talk about how it just seems to happen. 15 minutes. No edits. Maybe spell check if I’m feeling nice. And while I don’t write every day or even every week, I pay a price. An antsyness. A slow trade of inner calm for outter busy. Until the scales are tipped too much. Until the balance is threatening. And I sit down with my iBook on my lap and.

Write.

9 comments:

jay are said...

write.
write.
write.
write.
write.


don't stop.

Brooke said...

She's right on all counts; too much structure can be paralyzing, and you do write like Faulkner or Joyce, but better, because I understand you where Joyce just leaves me scratching my head.

You should write about the survey. That would make a great book. And it doesn't have to be one idea for 300 pages; you honestly could pull a Melissa Banks and write a bunch of related short stories. I'll send you my notes; you totally have a book already.

Then send it off to MacAdam/Cage (http://www.macadamcage.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=about), who will publish it.

Unknown said...

JA: We need to write like we've never written before!

Brooke: You make it sound so dang easy! And I love that about you! Mountain get outta my way!

Scooter said...

Do it!
I think you're writing is brilliant! And for God's sake, leave the straightjacket in its box, unused.

Matt said...

Hands laying on lap.

Why is my keyboard silent?

Beauty has to wait.

Anonymous said...

Then it's agreed. You'll write a book. I'll buy 10 copies. I can't wait to read it. It's going to be good.

Wait, is it it's or its? I never could remember.

Anonymous said...

Did I say good? I meant great. Original. Enviable. And more.

Unknown said...

I didn't even know I was in need of cheering up on the subject until y'all done gone and cheered me up on the subject!

I hope (fingers crossed) I'm currently living the fodder for what could one day, maybe, if I'm lucky, be a book.

Worst case scenario, it's a hundred blog posts. Which isn't bad at all! Win, win really. Let's hug!

Naomi said...

Yay you - just write and write. That's all you need to do.

Oh, and do try to avoid the straightjacket. It would be terrible if one day you had to sign up for a seminar in order to find out how to sound like yourself again.