Friday, May 16, 2008

april showers

There is a special kind of guilt when I see a month without a note. No April in the archives. No snippet of what it was like to be alive and me and in Seattle in April 2008. But thankfully, you have written. You have noted the nice days and the road trips and the long hours at work. You've mentioned the pretty in a good friend and snapped a camera phone picture of a poorly worded sign. This collective story we're weaving about these modern lives is wonderfully patchwork. And where my dull gray April quiet lives, your yellow swiss dot April makes it look almost on purpose. And for this I thank you.

I gave a speech on May first to about seventy people at a party. And I've read a bunch of books. I've worked lots. And walked much. And started making granola. But not just any granola. Granola that is worthy of a fan club. Once I found a simple recipe my variations are as plentiful as the oats. This last batch though. My OH my. The smell brought all the neighbors 'round and I've had three proposals of marriage.

Ginger Snap Granola

Makes a lot. Stores for about 2 weeks.
Best served with tart lemon yogurt in a very small, pretty bowl.

4 c. oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. cloves
1 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/4 c. molasses
2 t. vanilla

Combine oats, brown sugar, salt, cloves, ginger and cinnamon in a bowl. Warm the oil and molasses until slightly simmering. Remove from heat, add vanilla. Pour over oat mix and stir until evenly coated.

Spread out the oat mix on a greased cookie sheet and bake for 30 minutes at 300 degrees. Stir half way though.

Mmmm.

2 comments:

craftydabbler said...

I'm writing to tag you with a meme. The whole thing is over on my blog.

Unknown said...

Cool Crafty! I'll check it out!