Sunday, June 10, 2007

like the whole solar system stops and holds its breath with you

I’m reading No One Belongs Here More Than You. By Miranda July. She doesn’t have it capitalized on her book. On her book it’s written as “No one belongs here more than you.” I guess by here she means Earth. I want it to mean Alive but that doesn’t make sense in the context of the sentence. Alive isn’t a place you can be. But Earth is. So she must mean that.

I’m reading it slowly. At first I was reading it slowly to make it last. Now I’m reading it slowly because parts of it make me so incredibly sad that I have to space it out. The parts that make me incredibly sad aren’t predictable. Or evenly spaced. I need days between stories to recover. Sometimes up to one week.

Her and I have hair color in common.

No one belongs here more than you comes in two color choices. One is yellow and the other is bright pink. But those are just the dust jackets. The inside book is yellow regardless of which color dust jacket you choose. This fact, and this fact alone, made me pick the yellow cover. I wanted my copy to look the same naked or clothed. I thought it would be less confusing for me then. I would always just know that it was yellow. Plus, I like yellow but can’t wear it. It makes me look sickly. So when I can pick something to be yellow that I don’t have to wear, I usually jump at the chance. I guess that means two facts, and two facts alone, make me pick the yellow cover.

We may also both think of ourselves as sensitive.

Somewhere in the first few pages, she wonders if all she’s ever wanted to say to someone or be told is this: It’s not your fault. That hearing that. Or saying it. Would make it all ok. Like the line in a great movie that you think of days later and still get the chills. “It’s not your fault.”

“But it is.”

“No, it’s not.”

I wondered what mine was. All I’ve ever wanted to say? All I’ve ever wanted to hear? I remembered this one time. I was still in Minneapolis and he lived in San Francisco. Beautiful boy. Dark haired, blue eyed. Andrew Hendrickson. The One Who Got Away. It was morning, hadn’t slept. We had talked for 7 or 8 hours back when long distance was twenty cents a minute. I was in my hallway. In a t-shirt and underwear. Receiver to my ear.

“These things never work out.” he told me.

“I know.”

“I can’t move there. You can’t move here.”

“Yeah.”

“But.”

I said “But.” back.

“One of us is going to wind up getting hurt.”

“Probably me.” I said.

“Probably me.” He said.

We got quiet.

And then he asked, “Do you want to try anyway?”

And then I said “Yes.”

My It’s-not-your-fault is any question phrased like this: do you want to maybe try and fall in love when the whole world is out to eat us up? If I ask it, I want to hear Yes. If I’m asked it, I want to say Yes. I don’t know if it’s the question I crave or the answer. It’s probably the pause in the middle. The second where everything good and everything bad is possible. The second where it’s just breath holding and beating hearts. A million reasons to say no. But one person of a reason to say Yes. Good. Fucking. God. I love that. Love it. Makes me want to stand up and cheer.

Makes me believe in stuff.

And then after figuring that out. I wondered what it was for you. The thing you most want to say. The feeling you most want to feel. What is it? I’d really like to know.

8 comments:

heatherfeather said...

i miss talking to you at night. about doughnuts and boys and happiness and afraidness.

especially doughnuts, though.

Unknown said...

hf: We'll always have Yahoo! Messenger. *wipes tear from your cheek*

Brooke said...

Gotta be the "it's not your fault."

Or maybe "You're OK."

Damn that woman, she wrote my book.

Love your new digs, btw. Want to get together Sunday morning for coffee?

Heather said...

Oh, I love this one. I love what you want to hear. I want to hear that too. I guess I should think of my own, though. Or could I think of yours too, since we both have brown hair and live on QA and are named Heather? Yes?

Heather said...

Oh, And... true confession... I have that book (a yellow copy) out of the library and it is seventeen days overdue.

Heather said...

I thought of it, the thing I want to be told.

"I read your story and it made me fall in love with you"

This is not necessarily a sexual thing. This is about love.

Unknown said...

Heather: Oh! I love that!

susie said...

What I want to hear and what I want to tell everybody is this: "You don't have to get better anymore." This is really the same thing as,"You're OK" and "No one belongs here more than you," with the added dash of letting go of self-improvement. I first read this idea in Anne Lamott's "Traveling Mercies," and upon reading it let the book fall to my lap and let myself be bathed in this feeling of 100% liberation.

I love this blog. It speaks right to my heart and my brain at the same time.